St Mary’s Church, Sticklepath

Originally on this site there was an old thatched chapel which dated from 1146 and was possibly the oldest Chantry in the diocese. In Mr Baring Gould’s Book of Dartmoor he states ‘At Sticklepath was a curious old cob thatched chapel, but this was unnecessarily destroyed and a modern erection of no interest or beauty […]

Originally on this site there was an old thatched chapel which dated from 1146 and was possibly the oldest Chantry in the diocese. In Mr Baring Gould’s Book of Dartmoor he states ‘At Sticklepath was a curious old cob thatched chapel, but this was unnecessarily destroyed and a modern erection of no interest or beauty has taken its place’. This is referring to the current church of St Mary which was built in 1875. The only relic that remains from the old chapel is the fragment of stone, with red and blue colouring, which could be a figure of Mary in a blue robe, and is now set in one of the recesses in the sanctuary.