St Mary’s Chapel, South Zeal

St Mary’s South Zeal is an ancient Guild chapel, set in the heart of what was a 13th century ‘new town’. A fine 14th century cross (18 feet high) is in the garden. It is considered one of the finest in Devon. A church inventory of 1552 recorded “two bells at the ‘Chapell in villa […]

St Mary’s South Zeal is an ancient Guild chapel, set in the heart of what was a 13th century ‘new town’. A fine 14th century cross (18 feet high) is in the garden. It is considered one of the finest in Devon. A church inventory of 1552 recorded “two bells at the ‘Chapell in villa Zele'” and the bell turret is c14th century.

In disrepair after the Reformation, St Mary’s has been a school, and, having been re-ordered about 10 years ago, is now once again a place of prayer, sanctuary and peace.